Saturday, March 01, 2008

Freethinking, or intellectual arrogance?

I guess I’m back...and I am here to stay.

I know I’ve promised this before, but I think that a world full of studying and a lack of television can drive any student up the wall. Writing for me is therapeutic. It’s a great way to not only improve my writing skills but to channel my thoughts into something productive.

It’s been a great second semester of graduate school so far. At first I didn’t think that I would fit into a small city where life moves at a much slower pace, seeing that I am an urbanite. However, I have transitioned quite well. My smooth transition is largely in part to the friendships I have formed here, in Smalltown, USA.
________________________

Initially, I wanted my first post to herald my return to blogging. Yet, I have been troubled by an ongoing situation in my life that I would like to discuss. As you all might know, I belong to a group of people that form one of the largest Christian groups within the Middle East. Although we might not be a sizeable minority, such as the Maronites of Lebanon, the Copts of Egypt, claim the title of being the purest descendants of the Pharaohs.

I guess our survival in that turbulent area of the world was largely due to our stubborn, conservative nature. If you step into any church where there is a sizable Coptic population, a visitor would not see any stark differences amongst the congregation. We all dress our best for Sunday liturgy. We all look alike with our brown eyes and coarse black hair. We all sing the same hymns and participate in the same events. Yet if you squint hard enough, a visitor might just see one or two Egyptian liberals in the midst of a sea of conservatives.

While I hate to generalize, it’s safe to say that the vast majority of Copts are unwavering conservatives that are hostile to any form of criticism against the church. I encountered much of this hostility when I created a Facebook group called, ‘Coptic Freethinkers’.

My initial reasoning in creating ‘Coptic Freethinkers’ was to give a voice to the progressive Coptic Christian who was tired of having to deal with the stifling conservative atmosphere present in church every Sunday. I was tired of my priest bashing other Christian dominations, homosexuals, or the idea of women within priesthood. While I may not be a supporter of any of the above examples, I do not feel the need to bash, or label different groups as being blatantly wrong in order to cement my faith. Our church has survived several centuries of oppression, yet our clergy feels constantly threatened.

Additionally, most of the commentators in ‘Coptic Freethinkers,’ automatically assumed that because I had a different opinion from the majority, I suffered from a grave sin. What does advocating financial transparency, democracy within the walls of the Maglis al-Milli, or even demanding the separation of the church from politics, have to do with sin?

It's a crazy, crazy world we live in.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't that you have different opinions that you suffer from a grave sin; it is the constant bashing and disrespect to the clergy, which were strong foundations to the way the group commenced. Did you already so soon forget the disrespect that was channeled via your group? It was not until we, the intellectually poor conservatives, battled for long hours that we in the end won the respect of clergy – which they deserve. I do not think you as a person, since I got to know you better afterwards, suffer from a grave sin. But I cannot agree that the group is beneficial. The group was misused to channel the hatred of the church and clergy, inappropriately. While you personally may have valid concerns and constructive criticisms for the church, others that post like you are far far away from the truth and have misused your group to attempt to corrupt the minds of others.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Koptikjihad said...

What you might label as disrespect others might see as dry witt, or sarcasm. We have moderated our comments against the clergy in light of your criticisms. I hope we can reach a common middle ground between our two groups because at the end of the day we're sitting right next to each other in church.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am in shock horror...

I didn't think there were people out there who were like-minded liberal Copts - well of course there is - but why the silence for so long, have you too been suppressed?

I am devestated I have not found this facebook group mentioned while it was active, it is a shame that there is no value placed on free thought and creative expression unless it complies with the parameters of the institution's teachings and agenda. It is ironic that although we claim to be "created in His image and likeness" (that is in the likeness of The Creator), we are not permitted to express creativity through thought nor deed for worship and general practice.

In response to mannyac's comments: The church needs to be aware of the dialogues taking place in order to work with the concerns as opposed to ignoring or denying them... but who's listening right? Who's brave enough or has the energy to keep raising these issues when there is so much suppression and rejection of the truth in our midst.

I'm not sure why this blog has gone silent, but I do urge to resume, your voice is reaching out and resonates true.

...

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
HTML Counter