Monday, March 03, 2008

Politics

It's Election time! No, I'm not talking about the Democratic/Republican primaries, or even the election of Dmitri Medvedev, but of Student Government ("SG"). I've received more campaign fliers in my mailbox from candidates running for various positions in SG, than I care for.

We all have different opinions about SG.

I don't care about SG, because I view it as 'glorified' popularity contest for individuals who want something to put into their empty resumes. Nevertheless, there has been one instance where the members of SG came together and created a resolution that impacted my experience at my former Alma Mater. I think it was when they worked with city officials and created the e-Bus. The e-Bus took take hundreds of college kids from main campus to 6th Street and back until the wee hours of the night.
_______________________

I haven't been paying much attention to the Democratic/Republican primaries much this election year. This might be due to the fact that I don't own a television. I tend to turn into a couch potato whenever there's a TV around, especially if there's more channels than I can possibly handle.

I don't care much for the Democrats this election year. All of their talk about bringing home the troops, and universal health care scares me. While I consider myself a liberal, I do understand that a strong foreign policy and a sound fiscal policy will do more good than evil. It's safe to say that most Democrats view the Bush as the epitome of all that is evil. But I think 'W' understands the region better than most, or at least his advisers do. We need to mimic Teddy Roosevelt's doctrine of speaking softly and carrying a big stick. As a nation, we're faced with a rising trend of Islamofascists that is in serious needs to be defeated. I know my talk of Islamofascists can be likened to that of Ann Coulter, or Brigette Gabriel, but the Islamofascist ideology threatens our way of life, just as Communism decades ago threatened America's hegemony.

Even universal healthcare scares me shitless. Excuse my French, but do we really want more taxes and an even larger government bureaucracy. Universal health care can be solved by adopting a Romney-isc system, where state governments act as a third-party facilitators, to help individuals find health-care programs that suit their needs. Yet the issues of illegal immigration come into play here, because in system such as the one suggested by Romney, participation of all citizens is mandatory. It's an all-around messy issue. However, the current situation that we're facing isn't perfect. We need a solution that does not substantially burden/bankrupt the middle class.

For all those moral voters out there--the politics of abortion and same-sex marriage don't matter. If change is to come, it would be through the court system and not through the ballot box. If history is a guide to the future, then it's safe to say that women will still have the right to choose and sometime in the near future homosexuals will marry. Justice Scalia's dissenting opinion in Lawrence v. Texas was right on the dot.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
HTML Counter